Winter Wonders Art Show:
7 December 2013 - 29 January 2014
Artists Nancy Brossard, Sandra Hildreth, and Edith Urban and photographers Mark Kurtz, Eleanor Sweeney, and Karla Brieant are exhibiting their work at the Great Room Art Gallery at the Paul Smith's College VIC from 7 December 2013 through 29 January 2014. The VIC building is open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Free admission. Underwritten by Friends of the VIC.
- Nancy Brossard works in oil with a travel paint box easel, painting on the site. She is influenced by the "Plein-Air" style of the Impressionists. She paints in all seasons and exhibits her work in juried, solo and group shows.
- Sandra Hildreth started painting full time after she retired. Comfortable with both oils and watercolors, she uses whatever medium seems appropriate for what she wants to paint. Working 'en plein air' (outdoors, on location) has become her passion, although she also paints in her home studio when weather prevents outdoor work.
- Edith Urban does Adirondack oil landscape paintings, one-of-a-kind handbags and totes, hand-made quilts, jointed Teddy Bears, hand-painted pillows, and needle-felted wool animal sculptures. "After studying under Raymond Jackman, I began painting seriously in 1981. My lifelong experiences living in the Adirondacks have been my inspiration."
- Mark Kurtz specializes in film- and darkroom-based black and white fine art photography, as well as digital and ink-jet printing. His work has been published in countless publications over the past 25 years. He is a regular contributing photographer to Adirondack Life magazine, and his work has been featured in Skiing magazine.
- Nature photographer Karla Brieant specializes in photographs taken within the Adirondack Park using traditional manual film cameras.
- Photographer Eleanor Sweeney make digital transfers on metal, paper, wood and fabric, as well as traditional photographic prints. Her eye is often drawn to small, ordinary things, which she like to manipulate a bit.
Nancy Brossard, Sandra Hildreth, and Eleanor Sweeney are members of the Adirondack Artists Guild and show their work in the Adirondack Artists' Guild Gallery, 52 Main Street, Saranac Lake (518-891-2615). Mark Kurtz has a studio/gallery located on the second floor of 52 Main Street, Saranac Lake, above the Adirondack Artists Guild; the entrance to his studio is accessible from the Main Street parking lot.